Recognising vital work of volunteers in Inverell
16 May 2019
Member for New England, Barnaby Joyce, is backing volunteers in Inverell through the Coalition Government’s $20 million Volunteer Grants program.
Grants of between $1,000 and $5,000 to help community organisations for a range of needs, including buying equipment, paying fuel costs, training volunteers or improving their fundraising, have been allocated to organisations in the New England.
Some of the organisations in Inverell region receiving grants are;
- Tingha Sport & Recreation Bowling Club Inc - $2,385 – to purchase coaching and umpiring equipment for use by bowls club volunteers.
- Friends of Myall Creek Memorial Incorporated - $2,702
- Bonshaw Memorial Hall Incorporated - $4,853 – to purchase equipment used by its volunteers for community events including a public address portable system and microphone.
- Gilgai Public Hall and Recreation Reserve Management - $3,556
- Lions Club of Inverell Inc - $2,000 – for extra barbecue and shade shelters for fundraising and catering assistance in case of emergency community need.
- Ashford Show Society Incorporated - $4,688
- Inverell Hawks Rugby League Football Club Inc $5,000
- Gum Flat Parents and Citizens Association $4,887
- Delungra Sports Association Inc $4,960
- Inverell Community Radio Incorporated $5,000
- Inverell Rugby Club Incorporated $4,000
- Inverell Meals on Wheels $5,000
- Emmaville Pony Club Inc $4,245
Mr Joyce said volunteering greatly benefits our communities – both socially and economically.
“The enormous value of volunteering is estimated at $290 billion per year, and Australia’s 8.7 million volunteers and their organisations, including those in Inverell, are the backbone of community life,” Mr Joyce said.
“Volunteers embody the best of our community with thousands of people regularly volunteering their skills, services and time to make life in places like Ashford and Gilgai, better for those around them,” he said.
The Coalition Government’s strong economic management is why we can afford to provide the essential services Australians rely on and support the good work of our volunteers.