Progress on the New England Highway bypass of Scone
15 November 2016
- Preparations to build the New England Highway bypass of Scone continue to progress with registrations of interest now open to prequalified contractors to build the project.
- The project will improve safety, traffic flow and travel times
- 8,400 vehicles pass through Scone every day, including 1,200 heavy vehicles
The Deputy Prime Minister and Member for New England, Barnaby Joyce has welcomed the invitation from the Roads and Maritime Service seeking registrations of interest to build the $120 million bypass of Scone.
Mr Joyce said the Australian and New South Wales governments had committed $120 million towards the bypass project, which is expected to improve safety, traffic flow and travel times for all road users. Work on the bypass is expected to start in 2018.
“The New England Highway south of Scone carries an average of 8,400 vehicles per day, including 1,200 heavy vehicles,” Mr Joyce said.
“The new two-lane highway bypass to the west of Scone, passing through the Scone Golf Course, will help alleviate traffic congestion and improve safety and amenity for local traffic.
“Turning movements will be accommodated in the bypass design, with motorists able to access the bypass from the north and south of town as well as in the middle at St Aubins Street.”
The Member for Upper Hunter Michael Johnsen said the environmental assessment for the bypass had been finalised in April this year and detailed design is nearing completion.
“Roads and Maritime is now inviting registrations of interest to build the bypass from prequalified contractors until 5pm on Tuesday, 20 December,” Mr Johnsen said.
“Shortlisted companies will be invited to submit tenders in the first half of 2017, once responses have been assessed.”
For more project information visit the Roads and Maritime website at rms.nsw.gov.au