Funding support support for NAIDOC Week celebrations in New England
10 Jul 2018
Pictured in Tingha during the 2018 NAIDOC Week street march.
Member for New England Barnaby Joyce has announced that eight organisations across the electorate are benefiting from the Australian Government’s 2018 NAIDOC Week grants.
“From Tingha in the north where I was earlier this week, to Scone in the south, NAIDOC Week is an annual celebration of the histories, rich cultures, outstanding achievements and ongoing contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples,” Mr Joyce said.
“I’m thrilled to support New England community organisations with $16,600 in funding to host NAIDOC Week activities, like last week’s big Tamworth Family Fun Day to smaller events such as Minimbah Preschool and Primary schools in Armidale where elders, families of students and community were invited to a day of performance, story telling and lunch.”
NAIDOC Week is being held from 8-15 July, with the theme Because of her, we can!, which celebrates the continuing contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.
“I encourage all members of the community to attend a local event to celebrate and learn more about the culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples celebrating the oldest continuing culture in the world,” Mr Joyce said.
The Coalition Government’s $1.4 million 2018 NAIDOC Week grants package will support a variety of events nationwide, including sports events, cultural showcases and schools.
“The Coalition has been able to deliver these wonderful local initiatives thanks to our strong economic plan for Australia and our responsible management of the budget,” Mr Joyce said.
To find out more about NAIDOC Week, visit naidoc.org.au
2018 NAIDOC Week grant recipients in New England:
- Amaroo Local Aboriginal Land Council - NAIDOC Celebrations 2018
- Armajun Health Service Aboriginal Corporation - Armajun Inverell NAIDOC Activities
- Gungyah Ngallingnee Aboriginal Corporation - Honouring the women who came before us who have left us a legacyof their struggle
- Guyra Local Aboriginal Land Council - NAIDOC celebration for women and its families and others
- Minimbah Pre-school, Primary School Aboriginal Corporation - NAIDOC Activity Day
- Scone Public School NAIDOC Assembly and Student Workshops
- Tamworth NAIDOC 2018 Family Fun Day and Awards @ the Park
- Upper Hunter Shire Council - Ridgey Didge - Art for Everyone