Applications for Round 2 of Safer Streets Programme extended, says Barnaby Joyce
16 Feb 2016
FEDERAL Member for New England, Barnaby Joyce has urged local governments, PCYCs and community groups in the New England Electorate to make the most of an extension of a deadline for those considering applying for assistance under Round 2 of the Safer Streets Programme.
Mr Joyce said he has received advice from the Minister for Justice and the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Counter-Terrorism, Michael Keenan MP that the closing date for applications under Round 2 of the Coalition’s Safer Streets Programme has been extended for two weeks. Applications will now need to submitted online by 2pm (AEDT) Wednesday 2 March 2016.
Mr Joyce said the Safer Streets Programme directs money confiscated from criminals to fund local crime prevention projects to boost safety and deter crime through the installation of security measures such as CCTV and better lighting.
He said a decision to extend the closing date has been made in response to a significant number of applicants requesting additional time to lodge applications, and reflects the Government’s commitment to ensuring all local government organisations and eligible incorporated not-for-profit organisations have the opportunity to support their local community by implementing new safety and crime prevention initiatives.
The Safer Streets Programme implements the Government's $50 million commitment to deliver effective solutions to local areas experiencing problems with criminal or anti-social behaviour through a grants programme focused on improving community safety through crime prevention.
“This Programme will deliver local initiatives in areas identified as having a crime or anti-social behaviour problem, to prevent, deter and detect crime,” Mr Joyce said.
During the 2013 Federal election campaign Mr Joyce pledged an extra $200,000 under the Programme to a previous commitment of $300,000 to double the number of CCTV cameras in Tamworth’s central business district.
He said the project included the expansion of the fibre optics cable network, the installation of at least eight additional cameras in new locations in the CBD including the Peel River Bridge and footbridge and the purchase of mobile cameras to target short-term or emerging crime trouble spots.
The mobile CCTV cameras have proven a vital asset to the Tamworth Regional Council and police in the Oxley Local Area Command in apprehending and charging people for a wide range of crimes - from graffiti, vandalism of sporting grounds and the apprehension of an alleged sexual predator in the Central Business District last year.
“Now it’s a case of making sure we continue to roll out these CCTV cameras and other local initiatives aimed at deterring criminal or anti-social behaviour across the New England Electorate,” Mr Joyce said.
The Safer Streets Programme is being conducted as a crime prevention measure under section 298 of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (POCA) and the second round, announced by the Minister for Justice, Michael Keenan, MP, will provide up to $29.4 million for projects that address the objectives of the Programme.
An application form for Round 2 of the Safer Streets Programme can be found at: https://forms.business.gov.au/smartforms/landing.htm?formCode=SST02S1